Nansa was founded in 1954 by a group of families; for the purposes of providing meaningful and enriching activities and support to their adult children with cerebral palsy.
In the 65 years since; Nansa has grown to provide a far wider range of specialist provision, for people of all ages living with disabilities and/or those with complex behavioural, sensory, or developmental needs.
Nansa provides support from infancy; often working alongside families prior to any formal diagnosis of their child’s condition. Nansa will collaborate with every family to ensure their child’s specific needs are met, promoting development and progression through an innovative and
therapeutic response programme.
Nansa’s support for adults includes a wide range of services; everything from traditional building based support, to employability traineeships exploring the real world of work.
In 2020, Nansa (formerly the Norfolk and Norwich Scope Association) changed their name to the Norfolk and Norwich SEND Association. SEND stands for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, and moving forward, Nansa aims to be a catalyst for real change, across the region,
for those living with, or caring for others with, disabilities and/or complex developmental needs.
Nansa will promote and embrace partnerships with other providers and agencies offering SEND support services throughout Norfolk. As before, we will continue to;
- be ambassadors for inclusion,
- empower people with disabilities to achieve their goals,
- open doors to opportunities,
- develop and support personal growth,
- challenge assumptions and encourage aspirations,
- and promote a collaborative association of support for people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, countywide
- 1954 – Nansa is founded
- 1965 – Adults’ Centre opens (Bowthorpe Rd)
- 1994 – Family Services begin at the Clare School
- 2001 – Families’ Centre opens (Woodcock Rd)
- 2018 – Nansa wins at the Norfolk Care Awards (see video below)
- 2019 – Charity of the Year (CAMRA – Norwich Beer Festival)
- 2020 – Nansa becomes the Norfolk and Norwich SEND Association