Nansa was founded in 1954 by a group of families; for the purposes of providing meaningful and enriching activities and support to their adult children with cerebral palsy.
In the 65 years since; Nansa has grown to provide a far wider range of specialist provision, for people of all ages living with, or caring for others with, special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND).
At Nansa we provide support from the perinatal stage through to adulthood. We work with parents during (and shortly after) pregnancy and with families throughout the early years; from infancy and often prior to any formal diagnosis of the child’s condition.
We collaborate with every family to ensure their child’s specific needs are met; promoting development and progression through an innovative and therapeutic response programme.
Our support for adults includes a wide range of services; everything from traditional building based support, to employability traineeships exploring the real world of work.
In 2020, Nansa (formerly the Norfolk and Norwich Scope Association) changed their name to the Norfolk and Norwich SEND Association. SEND stands for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, and moving forward, Nansa aims to be a catalyst for real change, across the region, for those living with, or caring for others with SEND.
We will promote and embrace partnerships with other providers and agencies offering SEND support services throughout Norfolk; and we will strive to:
- be ambassadors for inclusion,
- empower people with SEND to achieve their goals,
- open doors to opportunities,
- develop and support personal growth,
- challenge assumptions and encourage aspirations,
- facilitate the advocacy and participation of those we support,
- and promote a collaborative association of support for people with SEND countywide
- 1954 – Nansa is founded
- 1965 – Adults’ Centre opens (Bowthorpe Rd)
- 1994 – Family Services begin at the Clare School
- 2001 – Families’ Centre opens (Woodcock Rd)
- 2018 – Nansa wins at the Norfolk Care Awards (see video below)
- 2019 – Charity of the Year (CAMRA – Norwich Beer Festival)
- 2020 – Nansa becomes the Norfolk and Norwich SEND Association
- 2021 – We remember founding member Peter Blackburn
- 2021 – The Disability Real Action Group of Norfolk joins Nansa
- 2022 – SENsational Families joins Nansa